Saturday, January 8, 2011

Entertaining on a Budget

I can't believe it has almost been a week since the beginning of the January "Food Challenge." I have a bottom shelf in my refrigerator full of leftovers and chicken thawing on the counter ready to be used for multiple meals in the coming week.

Our good friends, the Price family, wanted to host a game night last night. I already had invited my sister, Martie, to come watch Lilli's basketball game and then join us for tacos... so I told the Price family to come on over... I should have known what was coming next... "But, what about the budget?"

(My tongue-in-cheek Martha Stewart style write-up follows...)
Budget Entertaining 101:
When entertaining on a budget, a potluck of sorts becomes the order of the day. Let each family or person invited contribute to the meal. Put any food you don't want to be consumed out of sight. Make an inexpensive dessert so guests will still feel special.

I didn't stop with the Price family... I also invited my mom and dad to join in a Spades tournament. Mom contributed a pound of deer meat and shredded lettuce. Aunt Martie brought a bag of tortilla chips and a jar of salsa. Debbie brought a pound of hamburger meat, a 2-liter of soda, a bag of tortilla chips, and a bag of shredded cheese. I provided hard and soft taco shells, cheese dip (the other half of the Velveeta from the mac-n-cheese), onions, sour cream, and a pound of hamburger meat.

Everyone was filled with a delicious meal prepared by many loving hands. The kids watched a movie while we played Spades. A great night of budget entertainment was had by all!

And even better... the first thing I heard when I opened the gym door for the basketball game today was some friends discussing the food budget.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment