Monday, January 3, 2011

Food Challenge

My personality requires me to always be learning something new. I love information! Usually my pursuit of information comes in the form of the stack of library books I bring home every few weeks... this time I wanted it to be a "real life" study.

So, I am attempting to feed my family of five (two adults + three children) with $50 a week. This challenge will last for 30 days. I have a distinct advantage over many families that might find themselves in a similar belt-tightening situation... I can use whatever is already in my pantry, freezer, or refrigerator.

I sat down last night and made my week's menu and went on my shopping trip to the local Kroger a few minutes ago. I got $100 from the ATM and headed with my shopping list of seven items. 

It was a strange feeling to not grab a few "extra" items as I made my way through the aisles. (Traditionally, I never stick to my grocery list!) I focused on the necessities and only purchased one extra item (a loaf of bread from the "day old" section to go with our fettuccine tonight). I debated over what syrup to purchase and splurged on a "new item" because it didn't contain corn syrup. I opted out of two packages of sausage...only purchasing one. (I want to see how far I can "stretch" it.) I also purchased chicken quarters (something I never do) because of the 74 cents a pound price. (Planning on smoking those for several meals.)

I spent $29.73 and purchased 9 items.

Here's my menu for Week One: (School lunches are not included in this deal and as I make after-school snacks I will blog about them.)
Monday  cereal, banana  /  fettuccine, broccoli, multi-grain french bread

Tuesday  scrambled eggs, grits  /  dirty rice mix with sausage, green beans, corn bread

Wednesday  oatmeal  /  potluck chili*

Thursday  cereal, banana  /  homemade macaroni and cheese, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, cinnamon applesauce

Friday  fried eggs, grits  /  tacos

Saturday  pancakes, sausage  /  LOs or pbjs /  dry beans (cooked), cornbread, apple slices, cheese slices, carrot sticks

Sunday  breakfast tacos  /  homemade chicken vegetable with rice soup, crackers, cheese slices, fruit  / hodge podge supper... LOs, popcorn, etc.

*I am not counting a pre-planned church event in my challenge.

Wish me luck! I am hoping this challenge will teach me more than I expect to learn. I also hope this challenge will arouse others interest and they will try it too!

3 comments:

  1. Here's what stood out to me in all that: YOU COOK BREAKFAST ON SUNDAY MORNING?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's Ashley. I didn't realize will was signed in to my computer. He is "vince 83" b/c he loves vince papali from the eagles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm excited about this! yay for you! I CRAVE information as well! Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete