Monday, August 22, 2011

Pickled Okra

Monday.

6:15 am. I push the snooze on my Iphone. 6:25 am. I'm up and head to the kitchen to start the coffee. Wake Asher up.

8:45 am. The kids are all in school. I head out for a 3-mile run. Wow. It's HOT!

9:20 am. Back home. Hit the shower. Eat my 10 o'clock banana. Start the first load of laundry. Read a few paragraphs in "The Road to Serfdom." Ponder government. Ponder the ignorant masses.

Schedule two family photo shoots. Load the dishwasher.

Make a little lunch. Read the opinion section and the editorials. Empty the dryer. Fold a load of laundry. Start another load.

Clean my closet. Start the ironing. Search Netflix. Watch a film (while ironing) about a Palestinian suicide bomber who spends a weekend with Israelis (because he has a faulty switch that doesn't detonate the bomb) and struggles with his mission. All in Arabic and Hebrew. (With English subtitles.)

Make chocolate chip cookies for the kids' after-school snack.

Greet the children. "How was your day?" Take Asher to get his haircut at Becky's. Girls get lost in the woods. (Slight panic on my part even though they were with the two brown Labradors that would lead them home...)

6:00 pm soccer meeting. Dyron volunteers to be Lilli's soccer coach in addition to Eden's coach...despite knowing very little about the game. (No one else is "stepping up.")

Get Eden's alternative "Sight Word" list from her first-grade teacher. This list includes "scientist", "language", "noun"...

Asher brings home his percussion set. He plays his new instruments for an hour. I love to hear him making music.

We eat at Razorback Pizza. The family is oblivious to the homeless woman snitching from the salad bar until I point her out. I decided to go offer her our extra pizza. Funny. She seems to prefer the pickled okra...


2 comments:

  1. I like this post, nothing like a full day of service, Marria. 2 questions:1. I've experienced this phenomenon myself with hungry people. My mom used to tell me that 'beggars can't be choosers' but they are! and they sometimes choose the least nutritious food. Any insight? 2: pickled okra? on a salad bar? is that a southern thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I think I would prefer the pickled okra too.

    ReplyDelete