Friday, September 9, 2011

Lost in Mid-Life

I'm standing in my kitchen making the kids quesadillas while wearing an apron and my eyes are opened to the meaning of "mid-life." It looms on the horizon for so long and then it suddenly appears right beside me. In the kitchen. Wearing an apron. Calling out spelling words to my kids.

Mid-life sneaks up behind me and grabs me by the ponytail. It pulls me to the floor and starts screaming in my face. Each word it shouts brings doubt. What have I accomplished with my life? What am I doing? Is this what it's all about?

Katy Perry sings "we'll be young forever." And, I know she's dead wrong.

(I wrote this last week... thought it was incomplete. Guess not. So, I'll publish it now.)

1 comment:

  1. I shared your blog on my blog: http://sunnyliszy.blogspot.com/2011/09/this-has-nothing-to-do-with-my-kids-or.html

    ReplyDelete