Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Second day into it...

Strange as it may seem... I'm loving this food challenge. Even though I have already started to look into next week with some self-doubt as to my ability to succeed.

First, it was D's question to me when pouring his cup of coffee on Monday morning and realizing I had only made enough for one cup each. "Are we on a coffee budget too?" Second, it was me catching Asher with an "unauthorized" snack on Monday afternoon. "Those crackers are for the soup on Sunday... you just ate your portion." Third, it was the realization tacos are on the menu for Thursday evening and we're out of sour cream. (Lilli's favorite food.)

I suppose I have a love/hate relationship with food. I hate that I'm the one in charge of feeding everyone in my home and I happen to be the one that "needs" food the least. I could live off of yogurt, cereal, bananas, eggs, cheese, and beer with the occasional prime filet mignon and bottle of Shiraz thrown in for good measure. My favorite meal of the day is breakfast... after that I nibble a little here and a little there.

The best part about this challenge is how organized I am about it. I made my menu Sunday night. I made a grocery list and stuck to it. I know what I'm going to have for every meal so there is no scurrying around at the last minute. This challenge is very fitting for the "first born" half of my soul... it might set a new precedent for kitchen management in the Hamlin home.

Now, I'm hoping there's a sale on sour cream...

2 comments:

  1. Jeff says..."If I was D, I'd be hitting the Starbucks on the way to work." Ha! We see how well he would do in this trial! Love keeping up with your challenge! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got addicted to the whole planning a week worth of meals as well and agree it is must be part of the first born personality. I have done couponing for years and use CouponMom.com to compare the deals for the week with what is on sale. If you wait and you use your coupons when the item is also on sale and then buy multiples(as many coupons as you have) then you can stockpile until the next time it is on sale. I regularly save 50% off my grocery bill and by doing this but it wasn't until last year that I started doing the meal planning as well and that helps a lot. I used to just buy a bunch of stuff for different meals and just see what everyone felt like eating each night. But by meal planning I plan leftover roast for use later in the week, etc. I am with you though that I would be happy with a sandwich or some yogurt and sometimes wish everyone else in the family could be as well :)

    ReplyDelete